Monday, May 24, 2010

Often when coming a mission trips you have certain expectations or an idea of what the trip will be like and often the trip ends up not being anything like you expected; this trip has been the not quite what I had expected.

I came to Haiti expecting to see a lot of poverty with a lot of lost people, and that is what I've seen so far but what I didn't expect was my reaction to this.

My wife and I have felt the calling to be involved in missions long term, and prior to coming here we both thought Haiti may be the place that we are called to go. I know that we have only been here a few days short of a week and things can always change but we don't believe this the place we are called to be long term. Seeing the sitation first hand here in Haiti is very sad, but my heart hasn't broken for the people here like it has for people in other areas where I have been. That being said, I definetly feel that I am supposed to have had this experience here in Haiti. We have been able to observe a few successfull missionaries (Emory, Omaha Rapid, Pastor Gannada's, and Laura Lynn) allowing us to get more aquainted with the missionary lifestyle.

I have learned a lot been touched by somethings that I have seen; and I would like to think that I have reached out to some in the name of Jesus Christ. The people are wonderful and I am very happy to see how succesful the mission has been here, but I just don't believe that this is the place for me. But who knows, leaning on God for guidance we may find ourselves back in Haiti someday.

6 comments:

  1. Really anxious to hear your stories. I'm so proud of all of you. Stay safe. See you soon!!

    Love Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all will be touching lives no matter where you are being called. Waiting for your return and praying for the team. Hugs for all and if a few spill over on a few little one, that would be good!!

    Love Mom and Dad Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous said... I look daily for your comments and pray constantly for all of you, that the Holy Spirit fill every need for good health, encouragement and safety. We love you and look forward to your return.

    God bless you all. Love, Aunt Joyce and Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. God puts a desire in your heart but where that leads you is sometimes not known until we fine the right place or answer.
    Keep doing God's work and definately hug alot of kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're praying for all of you....

    Mel York

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in our prayers every day. God bless you all and have a safe trip home.
    Pastor Paul

    ReplyDelete