Sunday, June 21, 2009

godfather



Today was an intense day for me in Haiti. We went from house to house visiting people and asking about their need. We stopped by the house of a woman we had already begun to help on a previous trip. At first I did not recognize her and later realized that she had been pregnant the last time that I saw her. She gave birth to a girl 1 1/2 months ago. When we walked into her mud thatch house she picked up the baby and gave her to one of the team members with me. We began to speak to her about what difficulties she was encountering. She shared with us about her 8 children and the troubles she faces in supporting them since her husband died of an illness in January. Her oldest child is a boy of 17 who has taken the responsibility of the man of the house. He attempts to provide for the family by catching sardine like fish in the ocean with a makeshift net.

As we began to leave our team member gently handed the infant back and the woman immediately gave the baby to me and said that I was the baby's godfather. While the baby tried to suckle on the sleeve of my shirt because she doesn't receive enough nutrition from her mother's milk the mother began to cry feeling the weight of her hopeless situation. I assured her that I heard her need and would do what I could. My prayer is that Father God would be a godfather through me. Pray for us as we seek to relieve the suffering of this family.

Brian

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I just don't know what to say, except, I am praying, and I am not even sure what to pray. To see that depth of need and not to be able to do anything about, is to feel utterly powerless. I remember the woman you are speaking of from when I was here. God bless Brian and his family as you prepare them for the work you have for them in Haiti

    -- etal gade

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....BUT GOD... The needs are so huge, and our small organization so unable to meet all the needs that we would like to be able to do: .....BUT GOD... We remain totally dependent on Him to provide the people, the funds, the health, etc. Thanks for going as our "ambassador" Brian. May His people be challenged to provide more in the way of finances for Haiti and for Pakistan. And may He surround you with His wisdom, strength, and physical and emotional health.

    Blessings & love your way, Maralyn & Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Linda Burkle-

    Greetings in our victorious Savior's name
    I just returned last night from China mission trip--God is really awesome and His Kingdom Light is
    invading the darkenss there.

    I am so moved by the incredible needs of the Haitians. I thank God for sending you there again and pray that He provides all that is needed in every situation.
    2 Corinthians 9:8

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks BrianYour an awesome son.I wish I could be there with you.But you being there does my heart good.I could cry for this woman right now.I know she will experience the love of Jesus through you.May God give you all the resources you need out of his great store house.Love youKen(Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian,
    My heart just aches for this mother and her children. I am praying for you and the Haitians every day.
    Blessings, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother ... I will continue to intercede and ask Father for His Light, Direction and Providence to guide you and the team. In the midst of this struggle and the heart-wrenching 'picture' you've sent, may His Strength and Encouragement fill your soul by this reaffirmation: His Mighty Light and Love flows through and from you ... and He will use His Power to meet the needs of His Will - one soul at a time. As He sent His apostles by one or two, He sends you. You were blessed for such a time as this, my friend. You are loved, Ken (not your Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus. This family has seen Him.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian,
    Truly ypu are the Lord's hand & feet to the land of Haiti, It hurts me when I hear of accounts like this of people suffering. My the Lord guide your steps as you minister in His name
    Regards
    Rich& Sue DelSenno

    ReplyDelete