Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Friends & Family

I arrived in Haiti this morning to continue the work that ORR is doing in Gonaives. I was picked up at the airport, ran a few errands in Port au Prince and headed north. As I talked with friends on the drive I couldn't stop thinking about Pakistan and what my friends are going through.

The disaster here in Haiti is far enough removed that people are beginning to get a handle on what life looks like for them. Not good or easy for most but finding some sense of normalcy (at least normal for Haiti). The disaster in Pakistan is still going on as I write this. People are homeless, hungry and desperate for relief. I wonder what our response will look like. As i drove to Gonaives today we talked about what our response to suffering is and what do we see as legitimate need. I believe it has more to do with our connection to those that are suffering than it does some arbitrary criteria we attach to it. If we see them as friends we may do something. If we see them as family we drop everything to focus on helping them through this crisis. How do I/we think of them? What should my/our response be. I will pray and maybe I will go. What will you do?

Brian

4 comments:

  1. That is a good word, Brian.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be right there with you in Gonaives if I could.....I'll get there when I can! Rock on, soul brother! Keep up the awesome work, and hug some of those Jubilee kids for me!

    Liz D.
    Haiti Team 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will PRAY and I am willing (sometimes aching) to go. Thank you for sharing this, Dad and I both hear and feel your heart in this. Dad actually tried to responed on this but could not get it to go through. Our love and prayers for you. Much love.
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian,
    Thanks for all of the sacrafices you and your family have made to be there. You are such a sweet and willing servant. I continue to pray for Haiti and also for Pakistan. I try to get a grasp on their reality and not keep it so distant from my own life.
    Love you,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete