Saturday, July 25, 2009

New Adventures (Haiti through Kendra's eyes)

Even though I have been to Haiti before, many of the experiences I have encountered here are new for me; for instance, the feeding program. I had never done that before and had only stepped foot in Jubilee once last year. The feeding program is… an adventure every single time. First, when we are driving through Jubilee all of the kids there wave and scream “Blanc! Blanc!” (“Whites! Whites!”), some of them even run after the truck. By the time we reach the building where the program is held we have a crowd surrounding us. Then we unload the food and prepare to start. All of the children crowd the door; sometimes, in order to get the little ones in first, Woobens (who is a Haitian who lives with Emory and Mary, and is a big help) must beat them back with his belt. I was shocked the first time I saw this, but it is the only way he knows that they will listen. Please pray that another way is found.

A new adventure Brad and I are embarking upon is the language. We are trying to learn Creole while we are here. Woobens is a very good teacher. I catch on very quickly but Brad has more difficulty. We have learned to count to 10 and all the pronouns. We are working on the verbs. Creole is much simpler than English so it is easier than you probably imagine. I can already communicate a little, but I’m not even close to Dad’s level yet.

Another new adventure is the English class that Dad, Kara, and I help with. Dad helps a small group, Kara and I get another. Everyone wants to talk with the white girls. Kara is very shy and has had a hard time at every class. In Haiti there is zero personal space… if you sit next to someone, you sit NEXT to someone. K-k has a problem with people who “get all up in her face”. I have tried to explain the zero personal space concept but she just isn’t comfortable.

We are all adjusting to these “new adventures” but there are always more to be had, so please continue to pray. Your prayers are very appreciated. <3>

Much Love,

Kendra <3


Pictures with Personality

This little girl has spunk!


Look at the cutie pie in the left corner!


Kim's gonna kill us for this one!


Playing a-coonie-coonie-i-kye-oonie.


I saved the best for last! Makes ya wonder what she's saying.

5 comments:

  1. Maralyn (and Gary)July 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM

    Great blog, Kendra. I think I would feel a lot like Kara with the lack of personal space. We are praying for her because that's got to be hard. I would have the advantage of height. When they're in her face, they're IN HER FACE! How cool that you and Brad are working on learning Creole. I can sympathize with Brad; I really struggle in learning new languages....or, I should say, just learning--and remembering--words. The pictures are great too. We love being on your adventure with you...in the comfort of air conditioning. We're "overnighting" in Galesburg, IL, tonight (with Faye H.) on our way to the conference in southern Indiana. Thanks for going and loving the forgotten children of Haiti for us. H's all around....

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog Kendra, I just keep smiling. I think the pic of your Mom is the best.
    Thanks for being their and sharing God's love through your actions.
    Love,
    G'ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very proud of you, Kendra. I pray that you will continue to be a blessing to the people of Haiti and to your parents! I love you. U. Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kendra
    Thanks for the wonderful blofgand update. I am so proud of you for working on learning the language (because this is really one of my very weak points). So God bless you in this. He is surely preparing you for things BIGGER down the road. Just stay in fellowship with HIM, "Who directs all our ways". Kara and Emma, and Brad, thanks for being such good "troopers" in your stay in Haiti. Will see all of you soon.
    Love you all,
    Norma Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for serving the lord in haiti I love you nice blog

    ReplyDelete