Tuesday, July 21, 2009

rice & beans


A couple of days ago we were about to eat lunch before going to the feeding program. Our host let us know we could just eat some of the rice and beans the kids in the program eat. Cody had already fixed Ramen noodles but my kids are pretty big eaters so they wanted more. I told them I didn't want them to eat the rice and beans because I didn't want to send any children away hungry because we had eaten "their" food. Later as i thought about this I realized my children would eat their fill either way. So whose food is it? I could give away all the food in the pantry and we would still send kids away hungry. How much do I consume? When I eat my fill (plus), is it not the same as eating "their" food? This is not to say that because I'm not starving that I am somehow sinning. I do feel though, now to a greater extent that what i keep has a direct correlation to the need I see. Each day I continue to look for the Holy Spirit's equilibrium in my service to Him. thanks for your love and support. brian

3 comments:

  1. Reading this right after eating super... not cool! ; ) Seriusly though, you guys are in our prayers. Caleb prayed for you guys again tonight. Love you guys! - Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....some of us were still feeding our faces :>( while reading this blog from across the room.
    Wish we could've sent cheesy potatoes and chicken through the computer line. It was great having you join us at the meeting; and fun to see your tired, hot, sweaty faces. Give each other and the kids hugs for us, maybe while standing in front of a fan. We continue to pray... Blessings, l & h's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had left-over chinese from an inhouse luncheon. We do have excess and variety in the US, don't we? I am thinking/praying for you - for physical stamina but more for emotional peace in the middle of very mixed and worn emotions. I was so excited to see Emory's photos of construction at Jubilee!! Say hello to Emory for me and Kim, if she is there by now. God's Peace, Phylis Studer

    ReplyDelete