Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Made it to Port au Prince

We started the morning by leaving for the airport at six. We take the hotel shuttle and Brian talks with the driver in Creole. I always think it is a little refresher course for him but it is not really needed. Check the bags through security and the waiting game for the plane begins. I took a nap for an hour or so. I woke up to the first call of boarding. This is where the fun begins, once my boarding group is called I just start semi pushing semi holding my ground to get on the plane. Everyone seems to have two to three bags and need more space in overhead bins. I am riding back of the bus so I take a seat and watch for 15-20 minutes of people loading and taking their seats. The flight attendants have their normal dislike of the Port au Prince flight attitude. I settle in for the hour and a half flight. I think this was the first time I was on the left side of the plane and was able to see the island as we flew in. The land around Gonaives is remarkable brown. It was sad to me because in February when I was here last on the ground things looked greener. The dirt from the runoff from the mountains pollutes the ocean all along the coast. I would think by my now official scale a mile to five miles off the coast is brown. It was a stark difference of brown water to the blue green waters of the Caribbean. Landing was uneventful but had a surprise when we exited the plane through an elevated jet way. Each time before this we have had to unload and walk across the runway to the airport buildings. After going through customs, picking up our checked baggage, fending off helpers that wanted to carry Ken’s bag we meet Emory. It’s good to see him because he is so welcoming and gives man hugs (I know I don’t need to go to the chiropractor for at least a week). We drove to pick up Mary then after a little sitting and catching up we leave to go to visit Smith. Driving / me standing in the bed of the truck is always interesting. See so many people on the streets selling everything from food to cloths to concrete and rebar for house construction to the biggest speakers you could get in the 80’s. I think they are the same speakers my brother-in-law is stockpiling in his basement. We drive down a couple of streets that have colorful paintings for sale hanging all along the stone walls. Once we get to Smith’s orphanage the kids mob us. It is fun although I can’t communicate much. The kids love being picked up, tossed, flung, test their strength and kick or chase the ball around. Each of the kids wants to be noticed to know they are special. This breaks my heart because it is the same thing I think about, “how am I different.” I try to pick out each of the kids and do something to get a smile from them. I know I fail but hope the Lord will show his love to each one of them. Ken is a big hit with the children because he has a camera and they get to see themselves on the screen. It is good to see Smith, Katia, and Djelot. Djelot has grown four inches since I saw him last. We then depart to the market to get supplies for the house until Emory returns to Port au Prince. Then it is off to visit Dorthy. She is a friend of Emory and Mary’s that runs a small home for babies that people give her because they think they are going to die. She cares for babies with sickness or diseases so bad that their families can’t care for them. I shut down emotionally here because I can’t fathom having kids that look like they are going to die and I can’t help them. They walk/run up to you and stick their arms up to be held. All of them want to be held with huge smiles and laughter. After the visit we head to the guest house for the night. We will pick up Kim tomorrow morning and head to Gonaives. It is about a three hour drive give or take three hours. Thanks for praying. Kenny is feeling better not 100% percent but keeping some food down.

Dave

4 comments:

  1. Awesome writing! I love reading your blogs because they make me feel like I'm there. We're praying. Love and Miss you all.
    Cody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave, thanks for the update and for loveing the kids in my absence. Keep up the good work.
    His Blesssings
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the details. Those kids (and adults) are blessed to have you there.
    So glad you are there.
    Bless You,
    Jonie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog Dave. I agree w/ Cody, your writing is very impressive. It's real and that is how people connect. I have you in my prayers and look forward to more pics and blogs.

    ReplyDelete