Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The lunchtime feeding program

Playing with the kids

The school/clinic building/location of feeding program

I am filled with mixed thoughts and emotions as I reflect on today’s happenings and the various conversations I have been a part of. For one, today was our last day of seeing patients, which involved turning many people away who were crowded expectantly at the doorway after our time was up. I am faced with the realization that the work here can never be completed, with the needs being endless. However, I pray that those we touched will have seen Christ through us and been drawn to him in some way to as enact a spiritual impact.

While we worked at the clinic, a group of the others finished putting on the first roof, then completed a second roof from start to finish.

After packing up the clinic, we played some games with the kids…football, tag, and the “giving out candy trying while trying not to be trampled by the stampede of kids” game. They have almost nothing, and yet have such huge smiles. I am humbled by my lack of contentment even though I have been overwhelmingly blessed.

We then visited a physician in town who is taking care of a guy recovering from large wrist wounds inflicted by wire tightened around his wrists. While the wounds are healing well, his mental condition seems to be deteriorating, and his fits of babbling made me ponder whether this could reflect bondage to demonic forces. We prayed for Christ to work a miracle in his life, restore his mental function, and heal his spiritual state.

The sounds and feel of Haiti now surround me, the wind in the trees, the mosquitoes buzzing around, the intermittent rumble of dilapidated trucks bumping along the rocky roads, and the distant throb of Hatian rock music…another day in the Hatian life, and the promise of challenge and adventure again tomorrow.
-Dan R.






3 comments:

  1. I feel it too. There isn't a day that has gone by since I got home last months that I haven't thought about the children there in Gonaives, and how much work there will always be. Keep heart.....your work is never unnoticed.

    Liz D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for being there. I really miss all of those "sounds and feel" of Haiti (but not so much the smells!). I pray for you as you are there and most of all when you come home-that seems to be the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,
    Thank you for sharing your heart and spirit with the people of Haiti and with us here in the U.S. I am moved and even more compelled to come.
    Blessings in Christ Jesus,

    ReplyDelete