Friday, January 28, 2011

Zanmi Mwen (my friend)


This is my good friend Addison. He is my right hand man in all the work we do here in Haiti. We have become very close as we have worked together the last couple of years. It has been very hard to build relationships here as most people can only see me as a means of provision. It is very different with Addison and I. We talk for hours sometimes about life, God and our families. It is good to have a real friend here. Most of my days I don't speak much english and it sometimes can make me feel more distant from home, but many times over, Addison has been my confidant when things get tough. I eat at his house everyday, play with his four kids and talk with his wife, it makes it a bit easier when I start missing home. I am sure many of you read the blog I wrote after the little boy had died. That was a rough day and Addison saw what I was going through. Even though culturally we don't deal with stuff like this in the same way he was sensitive enough to know I wasn't doing that good. The following day he called me and asked me to go to a soccer match with him because he knew I needed sometime away from what I was dealing with. It may seem like a small thing, but it was huge to me and spoke volumes about his care for me. We continue as friends, sometimes we get mad at each other or have misunderstandings, but thats friendship. I thank God for bringing us together in relationship and I know that we will continue to care for and challenge one another.


Thanks for all you do,


Brian

3 comments:

  1. It is humbling when the ones we aim to serve, serve us instead. God is great. His Kingdom come!
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brian
    Thanks for sharing about your relationship with Addison. I know it's great to have a friend when you are away from your family. I look forward to meeting him someday in the future. I already liked him a lot based on all the things you told me about him. Please give my regards to him and his family and tell him I'm praying for them. If you get a chance please send some pictures of his family and his home. I think it's awesome that you are hanging out with him, and eating with his family. It just demonstrates the love of Jesus.
    I also have a similar relationship with Waheed. He is a great friend and I rely on him a lot.

    Look forward to seeing you in a few days.

    Love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,
    I'm not going to lie, there have been several mornings that I've ridden by on the back of the moto and seen you sitting on that bridge...and felt something akin to jealousy... that relationship you have with Jubilee's adults... mwen vle li...
    Here's to hoping I see you back in Haiti sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete