Sunday, February 15, 2009

Made it to Gonaives


The morning started at 5:00 eastern time as we got up to take the last variable temperature shower for a week. After checking the hotel room four times headed to the hotel lobby to wait for the shuttle. After a quick coffee or juice we headed to the airport with a full shuttle. Brian talked with the Haitian driver while Ken talked to the families sitting in front and behind us. One family was from North Dakota and the other was from South Dakota. They were both coming back from Caribbean cruises. We were able to pick up our tickets and get through security without a hiccup. We had about an hour and half before boarding so I took a nap. The flight boarding process was an adventure. As long as you don’t care about personal space and realize you can push your way to where you need to go as long as you don’t look someone in the eye as you push them. The flight went fine it was the shortest of the trip. Phylis, Norma Jean, and I had the privilege of sitting in the last row of the plane. We were the last ones off the plane so we were the last through customs and about the last picking up our bags. Leaving the airport we met up with Emory and picked up the rental Montero. We then headed to meet Kim, Mary, Jall, and Banny. After a sloppy joe lunch we packed the trucks and headed to Gonaives. This is an adventure. It is close to three hours drive on rough roads. Phylis, Norma Jean, and Rich took it well riding with Brian driving. I am again amazed while driving to Gonaives by mud huts and countless people walking. We see children carrying jugs of water on their heads or multiple jugs by hand. It is so much different than my normal surroundings. It breaks my heart because I can do nothing that will have lasting effect. I struggle with it always of how I can show people Gods love. I have heard many times that it is not about the 99 but about the 1, but I have not gotten revelation of this. I continue to walkthrough it and I know that the Lord it completely faithful. That He who saved me will give me what I need and bring me to the place He wants me. So I anticipate tomorrow and the adventure it will bring.

Only by God’s grace,

Dave

4 comments:

  1. He who began a good work in you will carry it through to completion. Just ride the wave... :)We're thinking of you all and praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this blog! It will be great to track "Grandma Hackett" and the rest of the team this week! Glad you all made it to Haiti safely! We'll be praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kenny G!!!!! I pray Our Lord blesses your special day in many ways. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. greetings to the Haiti group.
    special hi to Phylis and Dave
    okay, and Brian, Rick, Kenny and Norma Jean,
    miss you and wish i were there too.
    Phylis, you are STILL doing laundry! nice
    Dave, give a baby a hug for me.
    hope things go well. it is beyond my comprehension what you are seeing and doing. thanks for doing it. love you a bunch. Becky

    ReplyDelete